After the construction of the Elmina Castle (Sao Jorge da Mina) in 1482, the Portuguese built, in 1502, a church on a hill at a distance of less than 200m away from the castle. In 1637 the Dutch bombarded Elmina Castle from gun positions on the hill and after taking the castle built, in 1637, the Fort St Jago in the place of the church to protect the castle.
Fort Saint Jago, together with 17 other fortified trading-posts in Ghana, is inscribed as “Forts and Castles, Volta, Greater Accra, Central and Western Regions” in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
The Zamani Project spatially documented Fort Saint Jago in 2013, using terrestrial laser sanning.
Elmina Castle (Elmina, Ghana), Fort Saint Sebastian (Shama, Ghana), Cape Coast Castle (Cape Coast, Ghana), Fort Saint Anthony (Axim, Ghana), Fort of São Sebastião (Mozambique Island, Mozambique), Castle of Good Hope (Cape Town, South Africa), Fort d'Estress (Ile de Gorée)
> The Saville Foundation
> Ghana Museums and Monuments Board (GMMB)
> Christoph Held (Z+F Zöller und Fröhlich, Germany)
Over 240 terrestrial laser-scans were captured to document this structure.
Full dome panoramas capture a full 360-degree view from a single position. Individual full dome panoramas can be merged into a panorama tour, which allows a user to freely move from one panorama position to another.